What Is Estate Planning?
When many people hear the term estate planning, they think it refers only to the distribution of assets after death. That is part of it, of course, but effective estate planning can address important issues during one’s lifetime and in end-of-life situations.
For example, a well-designed estate plan will ensure that a person of your choosing can make medical and financial decisions on your behalf if you become incapacitated. Without a plan, someone will petition the court to gain control over your medical care and assets. This could very well be a person you would not want to make important decisions on your behalf. In addition, the court processes involved are time-consuming, frustrating and expensive.
Your Estate Plan
This is but one example of what an estate plan can help you accomplish. Depending on your particular needs and goals, we can design a plan that can help you achieve a great deal more, including:
- Ensure your minor children are raised according to your wishes if something terrible happens to you and your spouse
- Give you complete control over your assets while you are alive and well and if you become incapacitated
- Bequeath what you want to whom you want in the manner you want
- Protect your hard-earned assets against lawsuits, creditors and other threats
- Pass your values, work ethic and sense of responsibility on to heirs
- Reduce income, estate, gift and other taxes
- Keep your financial affairs and family information private
- Protect the inheritances of your heirs
- Leave an enduring legacy
We take a highly personal approach to helping our clients achieve goals like these and many more. We will devote all the time necessary to gain a thorough understanding of your needs, goals, and family dynamics. We will explain your options in plain English, not confusing “Legalese.” Then, we will draft a customized estate plan to achieve every one of your goals.
We can also collaborate with your accountant, financial planner, insurance representative and other advisors to ensure all of your needs are addressed. Once your plan is completed and implemented, you will enjoy the peace of mind that comes with knowing your family and assets are protected.
Contact us today for a personal meeting to discuss your particular estate planning needs and goals.